Saturday, February 25, 2012

A Mother's Words of Wisdom

I've mentioned it before, but I am a huge fan of the blog http://www.71toes.com/.  Shawni is one incredible lady, and a very inspirational mother.  I, like most of her millions of readers, have never met her, but am a frequent blog reader, who always comes away feeling empowered and rejuvenated, ready to tackle the trenches of motherhood, and find more joy in the small moments.

Shawni was awarded the "Young Mother of the Year" award last year, and recently attended this year's celebration for the new honorees.  She shared the following "mothering pearls" from her conversations with the mothers that evening, and I'd like to share them with you as well.


-- Do what you can to make sure your relationship with your children is a good one today. It won't just miraculously turn that way in the future without a little work.

-- Never underestimate how important it is to 
READ with your kids. It will strengthen your relationship as it builds their literacy skills and gives them a boost in school and in their future.

-- Partner with and 
support their teachers. Be involved.

-- Respect children as 
individuals. They may be completely different from you. Work to understand those differences and honor them.

-- Have
 fun.

-- 
Distraction is the key for toddlers. Distract them from their tantrums or their sassiness by turning the conversation to a completely different topic {this is one of my very favorite tactics that I had kind of forgotten about}.

-- One mom admitted that being a mom can be downright boring at times. 
Do something to make it interesting to you whether it is working on a hobby together or sharing your strengths/talents with your children.

-- One of the mothers never had enough money for private lessons of any kind. The kids taught each other what they would glean from others and they all became the 
best of friends.

-- Never underestimate the power of a little bit of 
"love and attention." When one of these mothers dealt with a child misbehaving or showing a little attitude she would grab them into a big bear hug and shower them with love and tell them it looked like they could use a little "love and attention." This would always end up in giggles and would quickly dispel the bad feelings.

Most importantly I realized once again the 
power of a good parent. A good, conscientious parent will in turn raise good parents, which will in turn change the world.


I especially love the idea of "love and attention," and will have to remember that one in the future.  All of you mothers who are reading this should go read Shawni's book that she wrote with her mother, Linda Eyre, called A Mother's Book of Secrets: Keys to Making Motherhood Memorable Meaningful, and Magnificent.  

I know as a mother, I am always thinking and searching for ways that I can improve my mothering skills, and make it as "memorable, meaningful, and magnificent" as I can.  I am so grateful for veteran mothers who share their wisdom and stories of the good and bad with us who have so much to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment