Friday, November 15, 2013

30 Things You Might Not Know About Me . . .

A recent game on facebook has people posting numbered lists of things others may not know about them.  I thought it was a great way to get to know your FB friends better, but felt like I couldn't participate because there's nothing really interesting about me.  I decided to at least try thinking up some ideas to see what I could come up with.  Of course once I get going on a project like this I take it into full swing and spend WAY too much time on it (this is a theme of my life).  I was told to write just 8 things about myself, but when I wrote 30 I knew that it'd be smarter to put it on the blog instead of bombarding everyone's facebook homepage.  So here you go . . .

1.)  I really didn’t know anything about how to cook until I was married and my husband taught me.   He did most of the cooking for the first two(ish) years of our marriage.  It’s taken a lot of learning, but I feel like I’m a pretty decent cook!  (Baking on the other hand…)
2.)  Through middle and high school, when I had to give a speech or presentation I couldn’t keep my hands and voice from shaking with nerves.  A high school Speech class and a calling to teach Sunday School my freshman year of college helped build my confidence and taught me that I actually ENJOYED talking in front of people, especially teaching.
3.)  I do so much better in small groups with my peers.  I feel lost and anxious in a large group setting.  I prefer talking with friends in small numbers, when you can actually have more meaningful conversation.
4.)  I don’t feel the need for having “girls’ night out.”  I enjoy quiet evenings at home with my husband, and having time to myself.
5.)  I miss Rexburg, Idaho and my college friends so very much.  Those are some of my most treasured memories.  It (and they) will always hold a special place in my heart.
6.)  I look forward to someday being able to afford to get babysitters and go on real dates!  (Wink, wink, David.  ; )
7.)  I’ve always allowed fear to rule my life.  Fear of failure.  Fear of embarrassment.  Fear of rejection.  So much of the time I wish I could go back in time and re-live experiences in a brave and confident manner, so I would have tried more things and put myself out there.
8.)  I lived in 4 states in 2 years: Colorado, Idaho, Utah, and Indiana.
9.)  I am so fascinated with the Eyre family. (Richard and Linda and their posterity.)   I love the blog 71toes and have read a few of the parents’ books.  I am simply in awe of the myriad of ways they have created to parent effectively and deliberately, and hope to be able to establish many of those methods in my own home and family.
10.)  I have a ridiculous sweet tooth.  If there happens to be cookies, candy, etc. in my vicinity there won’t be for long!
11.)  I love me some good, wholesome romantic literature and/or film, most specifically when set in a different era.
12.)  I am a perfectionist by nature.  Thank goodness I’m a mom; it’s helped knock some of that quality out of me!
13.)  I love to make lists, and seek out opportunities to do so.  : )
14.)  I really enjoy hiking.
15.)  I try to avoid talking on the phone whenever possible.  It’s always felt so awkward to me! (With the exception of some family.)
16.)  I was about a foot taller than all of my friends in elementary and middle school.
17.)  I am a pretty shy person.  If it seems like I’m not, then that means I’m trying really hard to put myself out there and be friendly and chatty.  : )
18.)  I’ve never highlighted, permed, or colored my hair.  I just got side bangs because I felt like it was time for SOMETHING to change, and I’m pretty sure I hate them!
19.)  Growing up, I had a cat and rock collection.  I have no idea why I collected cats, as I never really liked them.
20.)  I love to laugh, and really appreciate good, clean comedy (which is a rarity).
21.)  I absolutely love reading to my kids.  I think it’s so important to foster an early love of reading and books.  It makes my heart so happy that Eli loves books and being read to.
22.)  Even though we haven’t done much in the way of traveling yet, I really hope David and I get the chance to someday do some extensive traveling.  I would really love to get a feel of what other cultures are like.
23.)  My mood is directly affected by the weather.  I really can’t handle being too cold OR too hot.  I get a bit depressed by dreary-looking skies, whereas sunny skies are quite a boost to my spirits. 
24.)  I am way too critical.
25.)  I get stressed really easily and don’t handle it very well.
26.)  I have a soft spot for piano music.
27.)  I had always planned on serving a mission, but ended up getting married before that could happen.  I think it’s so awesome that girls can serve missions at 19 now!
28.)  I really love being with my sisters.  I wish we all lived on the same street and our kids could always play together.  I'll be so sad for Clara if she doesn't have a sister!
29.)  For the first time in my life I am on a good and healthy sleep pattern.  I go to bed early, wake up early, and don’t take any crazy naps!
30.)  Someday I'm going to run a race and learn how to sew!

No comments:

Post a Comment