Tuesday, March 22, 2011

To Sleep Perchance to Dream...

Eli is now 3 1/2 months old, and the popular question people ask me is, "How does he sleep?"  My answer?  NOT WELL.  As a matter of fact, it seems to have gotten progressively worse.  He used to sleep in his crib, but at some point I guess I grew weary of getting up over and over when he'd cry.  When he was a newborn it was a struggle to keep him awake during feedings, so I never knew if he was hungry or just needed to be rocked back to sleep.  Oftentimes if his pacifier was put back in his mouth he would sleep some more (of course it inevitably fell out, which led to many trips back and forth).

One night I brought him back to bed with me.  It was definitely not something I ever thought I would do, but I was desperate for more sleep.  He slept really well in bed with us.  For awhile.  I'm not sure how it happened, but then I started holding him in bed after I'd feed him until he was in a deep sleep, then I'd carefully try to pry him off of me.  Again, after some time this situation was not working well.  Which brings us to today.  Currently I am sleeping on the couch (where I feed him), with Eli in my arms the whole night.  It's gotten to the point where as soon as I put him down he starts crying.  I'm not entirely opposed to letting him cry for awhile, but when he does he winds up unswaddling himself, and is then wide awake.

So I am at a loss for what to do.  He wants to eat every 1 1/2 hours and takes about 30 minutes to eat.  I need some sleep!!  And I can't imagine this situation is healthy for Eli either.   I am hoping at his check-up in a couple weeks his pediatrician can give me some advice that will be able to solve my troubles.  Until then I'll just keep on getting by and hope that SOMEDAY it will get better!  :S

No comments:

Post a Comment