Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Art of Letter Writing

I love writing letters.  I love writing them even more on stationery (remember that?).  You may wonder how I know I love it, since the written form of communication these days is almost entirely made up of email and texting.  No, I do not write to a missionary.  I write to my grandma!  My grandma is mostly deaf, so she basically can't hear a person on the phone, and trying to talk to her in person is quite a feat (especially for me with my high-pitched voice).  Naturally I don't want to never communicate with her.  So I write her letters.  And she writes me back.  : )

Granted, while I'm thankful that we can message others at the drop of a hat with technology, there's something sweet and special about pulling out your pen and lovely paper and taking the time to write a real letter.  

I was recently reaffirmed of the beauty of letter-writing while watching the movie The Young Victoria.   In it, Queen Victoria and Prince Albert basically fall in love over letters, which to me is utterly romantic.  They opened their hearts up to each other in their letters, and anxiously anticipated and devoured every one.

My parents also fell in love over letters, as did David and I (though ours were in the form of email).  Writing letters is a wonderful way to get to know someone, by asking questions, and sharing thoughts, feelings, beliefs, and ideas that one may think silly to share in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment