Over the Christmas holidays, I had the opportunity to co-host a baby shower for my sister, Emily! I came across a blog that showed a really fun nursery rhyme theme, so that's what we did
for hers as well.
We took the food ideas from nursery rhymes, and came up with--
- "Peter, Peter, Pumpkin-Eater" Pumpkin Cookies
- "Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary" Garden of Veggies
- "Three Blind Mice" Cheese & Crackers
- "Humpty Dumpty" Deviled Eggs
- "Pat-a-Cake" Cupcakes and
- "Jack and Jill Ran Up the Hill to Fetch a Pail of Punch
Here is a layout of the spread--
I made a name card for each item of food:
For decorations, I found old-fashioned pictures of nursery rhymes online, cut them out, glued them to scrapbook paper, and set them on easels around the room. I loved how they turned out!
"Here We Go 'Round the Mulberry Bush" and "Rub-a-dub-dub"
"Little Boy Blue" and "Rock-a-Bye-Baby"
"Baa, Baa, Black Sheep"
"Hickory Dickory Dock" and "Jack and Jill"
"Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary"
"Little Jack Horner" and "Hey, Diddle, Diddle"
We played several games at the shower. I created a nursery rhyme fill-in-the-blank, where a verse of a nursery rhyme was given and they had to guess the title of the rhyme. There were many women who struggled, but my sister, Beth, got every one! (I'm sure it helped that she has a little toddler.)
I put together a "Baby Picture Match" game, where I collected a baby picture from every guest, numbered them, and they all had to match who was who. It was really fun to see everyone's pictures from when they were so small! Since it was mostly family there, everyone did pretty well at matching correctly. : )
Next we split into four teams and played a baby-changing relay race! Each team was given a baby doll who was diapered, dressed, and swaddled. The fastest team who could unswaddle, undress, change the diaper, redress, and reswaddle were the winners! (And boy were they FAST!)
The last game we played was "Baby Price is Right." We had a big basket of baby goodies such as diapers, wipes, teething toys, and baby booties. I selected five items that the guests had to guess the price of. Then they had to estimate the cost of the whole basket. The person who guessed the closest without going over was the winner!
Emily then opened all of her wonderful gifts as we sat and "ooo'd" and "ahh'd" over all of the adorable homeade baby blankets, outfits, and such.
For a shower favor, I took baby food jars, spray-painted the lids white, hot glued a ribbon that said "It's a Boy!", attached a blue snowflake for a winter baby, and filled them with blue chocolate kisses.
Everyone had a terrific time, and I really enjoyed putting on my first baby shower! It was so nice and special to have an intimate group of mostly family.
Emily's darling boy, Noah, arrived on January 29th! We are all bursting with happiness for their family, and can't wait to meet their beautiful boy! Eli's no longer the baby of the family! : )
No comments:
Post a Comment