Monday, February 24, 2014

Kids' Rooms

Before Clara was born, we switched Eli to the extra bedroom, and redecorated both rooms.  A lot of work went into making the kids' rooms look nice, and it was definitely a team effort!

Eli's Room



 The walls are a light grayish blue (same color as when we moved in.)  Here you can see his little toddler bed (he still asks on occasion to move the crib back to his room.)  Even though he's now had this room for 8 months, he always refers to it as his "new room."







These wooden wall decals were bought together when we purchased his crib bedding.  I loved them and wanted his "big kid" room to incorporate them, so that's what we based the theme and colors on.

My mom found this bookshelf at a garage sale.  She bought it and repainted it for us.  Eli's library is always growing, so it's nice to have a big bookcase to hold all his treasured books!


 I found these wooden letters and picture at Hobby Lobby.  I painted the letters in red and navy.  Eli just LOVED his picture as soon as he saw it.  He's all about "things that go."









My mom and I put together the framed pictures for Eli's nursery before he was born.  We cut the pictures out of old torn-up children's books, and the frames were all ones that she had extra at home.





 The big red board is a cork board.  It was in Eli's nursery with a different background and pictures and quotes.  My mom replaced the fabric and ironed on fabric cut-outs of a dump truck, bulldozer, cement mixer, and excavator.  She had the idea that it could be used to hold Eli's artwork.  So clever and fun!

I wanted to still keep Eli's glider in his big kid room for times when he's sick and up in the night and I rock him.



I always loved Eli's baby quilt and was sad we were never able to use it.  I didn't want it to completely go to waste, so we hung it up instead.

And of course, we have Eli's stoplight timer on his dresser.  He's getting very good about staying in his room until the light turns green!








My mom also bought this fabric and made a valance for Eli's window.  It added such a nice touch!

Clara's Room

I LOVE this girl's room.   The color was originally a robin's egg blue.  David and my parents painted it this creamy shade of yellow.  As soon as I found out I was having a girl, I started researching her baby bedding.  I knew that I wanted a design in a soft floral print.  I found the PERFECT set at Target, a shabby cottage chic.   My mom REALLY outdid herself in this room.  We found the glider on Craigslist, and then my mom bought a quilt that almost perfectly matched the bedding.  She cut up the quilt to reupholster the glider, then also made a valance with it.  The room was nice before, but her additions really added the perfect touch.



For wall decor, I envisioned delicate flowers in a plain white background framed in unique white frames.  All of the frames except one or two were taken from my mom's "frame storage," while one or two others were found at a Goodwill.  My mom spray painted all of the frames white.  My mother-in-law was the talented artist, who drew/painted all of the beautiful floral arrangements.  I loaned her the bedding, and gave her a couple ideas from some note cards, but other than that she came up with it on her own. Beautiful!


 David found this dresser for $10 at a garage sale.  It was a cream color (he painted it a light pink) and a bit roughed up.  He spent HOURS sanding, painting, and destressing this thing.  He also bought new knobs and pulls.  It's definitely his third "baby."  So proud of his hard work and self-taught skill!  Love how it turned out!
 I found these letters at Joann's, and painted them a dark rosy pink.  David sprayed them with a finishing gloss to make them shine.  I bought some pretty pink and white checked ribbon at Hobby Lobby, and my mom helped me attach hooks to the letters that the ribbons could go through.  My contribution to the room was small (besides for the little one who occupies it), but I was still happy with myself for adding something of my own work.

I found this sweet sign at Hobby Lobby: "Heaven sent, please handle with care."
 New diaper table baskets also from Hobby Lobby, an antique plate from my mom, and David painted the plain wood shelf pink, along with the laundry hamper.
My mom also purchased these cute little wall hangers.  Currently they do a great job of holding some of her headbands.  Maybe they'll hold little girl purses and necklaces when she's older.  : )

So happy with my two adorable kids' rooms!  Thank you to all who helped make them so lovely.

1 comment: