It's so crazy to me that Clara is officially 2 years old! We decorated a little the night before her birthday, so she woke up to a big birthday sign and lots of balloons in the family room. She LOVED that. She pointed up to the sign and danced under it, then picked up balloons and started throwing them up in the air. She was a happy girl! Eli had been talking all month long about when it would be Clara's birthday. Every day on the calendar he would count how many days left til her birthday, then how many months until his. So we had a lot of pre-birthday excitement around here.. :)
David and Eli snuck out of the house and bought donuts at a donut shop down the road before Clara woke, as a (possible) birthday tradition. We all enjoyed trying out the variety of donuts. It was definitely a sugar-filled day! As I already mentioned, we spent a couple hours at The Waterpark that day, then had a party in the evening.
We celebrated Clara's 2nd birthday with a small and simple family party at our house, the evening of her birthday. G&G Metheny, Aunt Becky, cousin Gwen, G&G Hayes, and Uncle Josh all came to help celebrate with us. I served baked ziti, garlic knots, and salad for dinner, then afterwards we opened presents and ate cake and ice cream.
Clara was thrilled with every single gift she received! Mom and Dad gave her some new clothes, a kitten sippy cup, and some jewelry and stickers. She received two books (which she loves to read) from one aunt/uncle, new hair bows from two aunt/uncles (which she proudly showed off to the doting onlookers), more beautiful clothes from Aunt Becky and G&G Hayes, and a little pink elephant bracelet from Eli. G&G Hayes also gave her a stuffed dog (whom she already adores) and a bag full of dress-up items, such as high-heeled shoes, dresses, a tutu, and play jewelry. How fun! She has been enjoying trying on all the pieces this week, and I know it will be used even more as she ages. G&G Metheny gave her a pink plush backpack with a ballerina bear, and a beautiful doll bed that my mom also sewed a pillow and blanket for. Clara plays with her doll bed all the time. She loves to put her own dolls/dogs "night night", and she always checks on them after she wakes up.
Clara smiling for Gwen's picture
Enjoying all the attention
She got the cup she wanted!
Decked out in some new dress-up wear
Thought her new doll bed was for HER, so she laid right down. :)
Trying to show how old she is.
I made a Funfetti cake, but added a few things to the mix in an attempt to make it taste more like a bakery cake. (as found on pinterest of course). I also made my own frosting again, a buttercream with pink food coloring. I learned that the kind of butter you use makes a HUGE difference in your baking result, so I'll have to pay closer attention next time to make sure I have the right stuff. I personally can't tell the difference in my "bakery" cake and homemade frosting vs. a regular box mix and store-bought. Maybe I'd notice the change if I baked more. ;) Just after this birthday I received an icing spatula, so maybe my cakes will look nicer here on out?? (maybe)
No comments:
Post a Comment