Friday, May 6, 2011

What's in a Name?

Ever since I was a little girl, I have loved keeping a list of my favorite baby names.  I kept a separate column for girls and boys, middle names included, and I even tested the names out by writing them along with the last name of whatever boy I liked at the time.  :)  As I've grown up, the names have changed time and again, but I still keep the list and look back and revise it every so often.  I also occasionally enjoy going to websites of baby names to see if there are any names I now like and might someday use.

There were so many other 'Lauras' in my high school, that for several years I thought I wanted my kids to have really unique names so that they wouldn't be one of many.  Names such as 'Cyrus,' 'Windsor,' 'Paisley' and 'Devory' stayed on my list for a long time, more for their originality than my favoring of them.  When I was pregnant, however, I just couldn't picture myself talking to my little baby with any of my more unique names (nor would David go for any of them!)  The name 'Elijah' was never on my list, but it popped into my head one day and we were both instantly in love with it.  If Eli had been a girl, he would have been named Ellie (just a coincidence the names are so similar).

Currently, I know of 18 girls that are pregnant (and many more who have already had babies this year, most all of which are/will be first-time moms).  Call me crazy, but I love thinking about and wondering what they will name their babies!  There are so many names out there, how do you choose just one?!

This article was posted on Yahoo! today (which spurred this blog post).  I think it's interesting to see what names are most popular, and to find out if any of my favorites are everyone else's as well. 


Good luck to all you mothers-to-be on finding the perfect name for your baby!  I wish all of the current (and future) moms a Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment