I have never enjoyed answering the door for someone unplanned. Probably has to do with my displeasure at surprises I'm not prepared for.
Yesterday I noticed our air conditioning was not working. I kept turning it down, but the number kept getting higher. 82 degrees in our apartment! Needless to say, Eli and I were miserable and melting in our skin. I put in a maintenance request to have our a/c fixed, but we were third in line and told it probably wouldn't be checked until later in the week.
Since it was so hot I had only my garments on. It was late in the afternoon, the apartment was a mess, I was sweating profusely, and Eli was just starting to doze off while I was feeding him. Then I heard a knock at the door (we were sitting on the couch in the living room). I figured David had ordered another pair of shoes on ebay, and they would leave when I didn't answer. No such luck. They kept knocking, except then it turned into pounding. I started to panic, seeing as I was in my underwear, still exposed as Eli had just finished eating, with a sleeping baby in my arms. As I quickly began thinking who in the world would be insistently knocking, they unlocked my door and started to come in!! I frantically yelled, "Don't come in!" with a touch of "How dare you just walk into MY apartment?!" My yelling woke up the baby (grrr), and I rushed to the bedroom to put on some clothes. I came to the door (I'm sure looking pretty perturbed) to see that it was the maintenance men come to fix my a/c.
I know this sort of thing (maintenance coming whenever they feel like it and being allowed to unlock your door) is routine apartment living, but I think it's totally unacceptable. What if I had been in the shower? I don't understand why they can't say when to expect them, or ask when a good time to come by would be.
Just wanted to share my frustrating/humorous incident. A blog is a good place to vent!
No comments:
Post a Comment