We did manage to have four days after that appointment, including a Saturday, which was SUCH a blessing. I worked like a maniac, tried to also make fun quality time with the kids, but my excruciating pain in my legs and feet (from the crazy amount of swelling), and worry about getting things accomplished, caused me to also feel pretty cranky often.
Sunday morning June 5th (15 days before my due date), I was up working from about 3:00-5:00 a.m. when I all of a sudden felt like I was going to be sick. I threw up (blech). I knew women can have nausea and vomiting soon before labor, and I felt at that point that I probably only had a day or two left. I went to sleep then and woke up at 8:00 feeling wet. Waddling to the bathroom I knew what was going on, and nervously called to David, "Well, we won't be going to church today!" My water had broken!
I felt instant relief and gratitude that labor was coming early. We weren't at all packed or cleaned up for the day yet, so then it was a crazy time trying to move along quickly and get last-minute chores done the best we could, all while the contractions started coming and were getting more painful. When David told Eli we were having the baby that day Eli asked, "Is it June 20?" :) It was a little hard for him to wrap his head around the idea that the baby could come before its due date. :) But both kids were very excited that we were heading to the hospital to meet Baby Bob.
We called David's parents to tell them so they could have time to drive to the hospital (they even beat us there). A little before I knew my water was broken I texted my mom and told her to bring a packed bag with her, as she and my dad were going to be in the area for a church presentation that day, and she would be staying at our house with the kids.
We arrived at the hospital around 11:00 and right when we walked in the door I saw my doctor! I didn't have her number to let her know I was in labor, and was SO happy she was already there and had not been on her shift for long. What a blessing!! When I had my initial check-up I was dilated to a 4 and contractions were still coming along and progressing well, so I was officially moved into a labor & delivery room! All the nurses couldn't believe how swollen my legs and feet were. I told them, "Oh, they're much better today!" It was pretty nuts. My shaking also began like it always does. This time wasn't nearly as bad with that, though, and would calm down at times and did not last much past the delivery.
| Last pregnant picture! One day shy of 38 weeks. |
Once I got all hooked up and settled in I received my epidural. They checked me after it started working and I was a 6. Not too long after though I could feel the contractions getting stronger and more painful again. The anesthesiologist came back to give me another dose, When I was checked I was an 8! It was so exciting to be moving along so well and quickly! Such a different experience from the previous two, who were induced with pitocin and 15-hour labors. This labor was like a dream with how smooth it was all going!
The kids and my parents came in for a visit. I was so happy to see the kids, and very thankful they were being watched over and handling the waiting well. I was grateful we packed them lunches, too.
After they left David gave me a blessing. Such a comfort to have that. I felt that everything would work out fine and we'd be able to get the baby out okay.
When the doctor came back in I was a 10! The nurses had thought I might be pushing for a long time since he was supposed to be big. So when it was time to push I was mentally prepared for the long haul. I pushed twice and felt like my face was going to explode. The third time I pushed I couldn't believe that he was out! They lifted him up, and for the first time I saw one of my baby's cords still attached, and everyone was commenting, "That's a big baby!" He was pretty gross, covered with the sticky white coating, but he was perfect, and beautiful, and here! It felt so surreal to me as it was the most alert and best I'd ever felt after delivery. I couldn't believe how easily and quickly it happened! When they put him on the scale he measured in at 10 lbs even and 22 inches long! Whew! THANK HEAVENS he came when he did! Our prayers were answered and we were immensely blessed.
We didn't reveal baby's name until after his birth. It was a little hard to keep it a secret, but it was a fun surprise to share it then.
Ezra David Hayes, born at 2:28 p.m. Sunday June 5th, 10 lbs. 22 inches. (about a 6 1/2 hour labor).
What ended up being a funny coincidence is that David's dad had been referring to our baby as 'Ezra', as it was a name he really liked. When we learned this we had already chosen that name for him, so it was pretty weird (but cool!) that the name was the same. :)
| Such a special moment shared. |
| Ezra with Grammie M. |
| Grandpa M. |
| Being held by Grandma H. |
| Held by Grandpa H. |
| Sweet and precious babe. |
Hooray for our new family of 5!
Wow Laura! I'm so happy for you! Sounds like things couldn't have gone any more smoothly. And so awesome he came as early as he did. Only 3 pushes?! You go girl! Such a dream labor and delivery. Congrats!!! He's so perfect.
ReplyDelete