You may have tangible wealth untold;
Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.
Richer than I you could never be--
I had a mother who read to me.
--Strickland Gillian
I was fortunate to have a mother who enjoyed reading aloud to her children, and who instilled a love of children's literature in us. Ever since I was a little girl I adored listening to my favorite children's stories, and even reading them aloud just to myself.
I have started my own collection of children's books, and I cherish the time I have to read to Eli every day. Sometimes we read simpler stories, such as The Napping House and Guess How Much I Love You, other times we read longer ones like Roxaboxen and The Tale of Peter Rabbit.
One of my favorites, Love You Forever, means so much more to me since I became Eli's mother. I was read this story when I was a child, and I sing the mother's song to the tune that my mother sang it to me.
I'll love you forever.
I'll like you for always.
As long as I'm living,
my baby you'll be.
I am so grateful I was read to as a child, and I know I will always treasure those special read-alouds with my own children.
No comments:
Post a Comment