I must admit, I've been stressing lately over what to write about in this blog. This month has had a scarce amount of postings, and I've been feeling a bit guilty about it. I wish I had some fabulous adventure, recipe, or craft to share, or some awe-inspiring thoughts, but sadly I don't.
I've thought lately how I lead a pretty simple life. Every day I get up at the same time, get myself ready, get the baby ready, change diapers, feed meals, take a walk, read stories, play, sing songs, put baby to sleep, clean up messes, and repeat. Of course what I do with my free time varies, and every week we go to church, visit with family, and do some shopping, and occasionally we go to the library, have playdates, and get together with friends, but basically, it's pretty much the same thing every day. And I'm okay with that. I imagine when I have more kids, David's working long hours during the busy tax season, and I have a whole house to take care of, (plus my own car to go places), life will become hectic, and I'll wish things were more simple and slow.
Please don't think I am complaining about my simpleness; I'm not. I love my life, and I love what I get to do every day. Sometimes I do get a little down, and start thinking about all of the things I "can't" do. I can't sew, I'm not all that crafty, and my cooking and baking skills are strongly lacking. But one thing I thought of that I "can" do is be a good mom. And even if that's all that I do well, that's enough for me right now. Nothing brings me more joy than being Eli's mom.
A blogger I love to read about often talks about "being there" for your kids, being in the present, and when you're with them to actually be WITH them, and not have your mind on a thousand other things. Every day I try to remember this piece of wisdom. Sometimes it's more important that I stack blocks and play peek-a-boo with the baby than empty the dishwasher and fold the laundry. Those "to-do's" will always be there, but my time with him is precious and limited.
I know my current "simple life" is really a blessing. I am better able to devote my time focusing on my family and finding ways to serve others and uplift myself as well.
"My dear brothers and sisters, we would do well to slow down a little, proceed at the optimum speed for our circumstances, focus on the significant, lift up our eyes, and truly see the things that matter most.
--President Dieter F. Uchtdorf "Of Things That Matter Most"
No comments:
Post a Comment