Thursday, March 8, 2012

"It's Delightful, It's Delicious, It's De-Lovely"

I was one of those lucky ones who was introduced to the British television series, Downton Abbey, chronicling the lives of the aristocratic Crawley family in the early 1900s.  Before watching, I hemmed and hawed, not really desiring to watch a British period piece (even though I've fallen in love with several in the past, typically from a Jane Austen novel).  I did not immediately favor the show, either, as there were so many unlikable characters.  However, upon continuing to view the show, my heart warmed to them, and I grew quite attached to their stories.  I watched both of the seasons twice, just to be able to see again the endearing happenings that take place.


Watching Downton Abbey made me ponder on what is so enjoyable about British period pieces.  I created a list of what attracts them to me:

  • The beautiful accent and proper language
  • Stunning gowns and perfectly curled and pinned hair on the ladies
  • The men are (generally) gentlemen
  • Utter elegance
  • High morals and standards (Not possessed by all, but expected). Pre-marital relationships are cause for disgrace and a ruined reputation.
  • The lovely countryside
  • The often beautiful soundtrack (by composers such as Patrick Doyle, Rachel Portman, and Carl Davis).
  • The interaction between a man and a woman in love.  They do not jump in bed together; their relationship progresses slowly. They are respectful, discreet, and sometimes so coy that it almost drives you crazy!  Their first shared kiss is so highly anticipated from its long build-up that you just want to leap out of your seat with joy.
It saddens me that I will have to wait a year to continue watching Downton Abbey (when the next season is expected to be broadcast in the U.S.).  I don't know if my heart can take it!  Any similar recommendations to keep me (partially) satisfied 'til then?  (Oh, and for those of you who are also adoring fans of these types of shows, another one (just a miniseries) you should watch is Cranford.

1 comment:

  1. Have you seen the miniseries Lost In Austen? It's pretty cute. It's on Netflix. Anyway I think I might watch Downton Abbey. You're the second friend of mine that has mentioned it online in the past week, so it must be good.

    ReplyDelete