This past summer when we moved into our new house and new ward, MANY other families were also moving into our ward. I think there were at least 15 new families that moved in between April and August. It was a little hard to be one of "many" new people, especially in a building with three wards, as you don't know if you should know the people you pass in the halls.
About a month after we arrived, a family moved in who also had just one little boy, who was only a few months older than Eli. Immediately that made my heart leap because it seemed like everyone else who had a child Eli's age also had older children, so I didn't quite feel like I could really connect with them, as I was just a mom with one toddler.
From the first time I talked to Adrienne, I knew instantly that we would become real friends. I remember telling my mom that maybe she and I could be "kindred spirits" (Anne of Green Gables, anyone?) She had such a nice, warm smile, our conversation flowed easily, and as we talked we discovered more things we had in common. We both attended BYU-Idaho and majored in Elementary Education. We both have three sisters and one brother. And one of her sisters was in my previous ward!
I only enjoyed Adrienne more as we spent time together in playgroups and became visiting teaching companions (we teach three sisters who all live within a few minutes away and have a child the same age as ours! how cool is that?!). Adrienne was pregnant with her second boy, due early November, so I decided that, although I have yet to be known for my party-planning skills, I wanted to host a baby shower for her.
My sister, (who is known for her party-planning skills), suggested I make cheesecake for the shower. "What a great idea!" I thought. Who doesn't love a scrumptious cheesecake? When talking to my mom (who is the MASTER hostess) about a recipe, I realized I didn't have the tools, the ingredients, or the know-how to make a cheesecake on my own. So my hero-mother drove an hour to my house, after a full day of teaching, to help me make my first cheesecakes. It was a little too expensive and a bit too complicated for my first party, but they sure turned out wonderfully and were such a hit!
It was a plain cheesecake with chocolate/chocolate chips swirled in the center, an oreo crumb crust, and chocolate crumbs sprinkled on top. DELICIOUS!
I was so nervous to finish the cheesecake on my own, but it came out just beautifully!
My mom lent me her Fall plates, some pretty Fall decorations for my table, and an extra pitcher.
As guests arrived, they were given a nametag with their new name on it (i.e. an essential baby item). Throughout the shower, everyone was supposed to call each other by their nametag name. If they slipped, they had to put change in a piggy bank to start the baby's savings (I provided the piggy bank as part of my gift, and also the change). It was funny how many times people slipped up, and also funny calling people things like "Exersaucer" and "Burp Cloth." : )
Since it was Adrienne's second baby (of the same gender), we only played one game, just as a get-to-know you. I created a Person Scavenger Hunt. It was a bingo board with descriptions of different talents, interests, info, etc. that could apply to the guests. They each had to find people who could sign their name identifying with a certain statement. Everyone enjoyed playing and getting to know each other better, and I liked how it wasn't a typical baby shower game.
I found these cute satin blue tied bags at Hobby Lobby, and filled them with chocolates as shower favors.
It was a small group, with only ten of us total. But it was also a very lively, social, and chatty group, and everyone was so much fun! (Adrienne's in the middle in this picture. I sadly didn't get any pictures with me in them.)
Adrienne's mom and sister
Adrienne's baby was breeched, so she was scheduled to have a c-section a little less than a week after the shower. She actually went into labor two DAYS after the shower (had that shower in the knick of time!). Sadly there were complications and their sweet baby can't come home yet. When I just received a text telling me of complications, I was immediately concerned and worried. I didn't know any details and felt completely helpless. I was able to go to the hospital that night (Sunday) and am so glad I did. I was able to be there for my friend during her time of need. She knows how much I care and that I will be there for her.
Even though I've only known Adrienne a couple months, I consider her a dear friend, who will probably be the closest one I've had in years. I will be forever grateful for her friendship and for the inspiring example that she is to me.
That is so wonderful when you can find another "kindred spirit" (Love those movies/books)far away from your old friends and family. Hope her baby is okay! She is blessed to have you for a friend! :)Will you be around the first weekend in December by the way? Tyler and I are coming home for Robert's wedding and I would love to try and see you while I am home! :)
ReplyDelete