My 6 Loves of Eli
1. His prayers. He says his own prayers with us. For a while he was stubbornly refusing to say prayers. I would tell him how important it was to pray and how much Heavenly Father wanted to hear from him and bless him, and how I loved hearing him pray, too. But it took a lot of pushing for him to. Now he happily volunteers to pray and will say such sweet and thoughtful things in his prayers, showing his love for his family, for others, and his gratitude.
2. His love for his family. Although he can say hurtful things, disobey his parents, and not include his sister, Eli loves his family very much. Every weekend or every time he has a break from school he tells me, "I'm so glad I get to have some time with you, Mom!" And I know having time to play with David also means the world to him. I know he's so proud to be an older brother to Clara and Ezra and loves them very much. He gives his family lots of hugs and "I love yous." Every single morning before he leaves he tells us how much he's going to miss us, and always comes running with hugs and smiles when he comes back home.
3. His love of reading and art. Eli was not a child who enjoyed coloring or making crafts much. But these days doing art is one of his favorite pasttimes! He made himself a desk area in his room where he keeps paper and art supplies and loves to come out after some time showing me another masterpiece! He has such a hoarder personality and thinks every single thing he's ever made is very special, so he's taped MANY pictures onto his walls. Art is his favorite class at school. I also love how much he enjoys books and reading together. It is such valued time for both of us. I'm so glad we've made it a priority.
4. His budding testimony. Even though Eli currently claims he doesn't want to go on a mission (says he'd rather save his money for toys), and even though family scripture time is often met with groans and moans, I know Eli enjoys learning about the gospel and has his own little growing testimony. When he was sick with the flu a couple weeks ago he whispered in my ear, "Priesthood." That was his way of saying he'd like his dad to give him a blessing. He had faith that he could be healed from his sickness.
5. How hard he tries at things that matter to him. When it's something that he's invested in, Eli really does his best work. He's so proud of himself because he colors in the lines. He can count his numbers up to well past 100. He works so hard at swimming lessons and tries everything he's told, even though it's been new and tough, and sometimes he was afraid.
6. His bright "thinker" personality. Eli is a hard-headed kid, and certainly doesn't like to be told. "No." But that big brain of his loves a good challenge! He loves to look at things, get his hands on things, and figure out how things work and what purpose they serve. He's very curious and investigative and I love watching the wheels turning as he's put his mind to something. I love seeing his face light up when he's made a discovery or has something he wants to show or tell me about.
Even though he can certainly test my patience and contributes to me turning into "Crazy Mom," I sure think the world of my boy. Grateful every day that I can be his mother.
Even though he can certainly test my patience and contributes to me turning into "Crazy Mom," I sure think the world of my boy. Grateful every day that I can be his mother.

No comments:
Post a Comment