Saturday, February 24, 2018

My Seven Loves of Eli

David took this photo shoot of Eli in the fall.  They love to bike together, and a route they often ride takes them through these woods.  David thought it'd be the perfect place for some photos.  Although none of the pictures really show Eli's great smile, they still show our handsome young man another year older!

As per tradition, here are my "7 loves of Eli" in celebration of him turning 7 years old.

1.  Your giggle when we play together.  Oh, you are so full of mischief!  You get quite a kick out of being a little prankster at home. I think one of your favorite times is when I get down on the floor and play silly and crazy games (like "Mommy Monster") with you and your siblings.  These games always involve me chasing and tickling you, as you howl with laughter.  Boy do I love to hear you laugh, and to see the twinkle in your eyes that a good laugh brings.


2. Your creative thinking.  Sometimes at home you get in such a rut of "boredom" and a funky mood ensues.  I love when you realize all the fun to be had when you put your mind to something!  Once you start going through the dress-up box, or set up the magna-tiles, or tinker away with your legos you always amaze me at what you come up with!



3. Your love of reading together.  I will never regret my huge hauls from my weekly library trips because they have given us ample time spent reading together!  As soon as you walk in the door from school on a day that I've gone to the library you plop right on the floor and go through all the books choosing your very favorites to look through first  You can't wait for us to begin reading them.  I hope that someday when you can read the books by yourself that you'll still want to read together.


4. Your super silliness!  Eli, you are such a goofball!  Goodness knows all your incessant talk on poop and toots drives me INSANE!  But you have such a great sense of humor.  You love telling and hearing jokes.  You love recording yourself acting wild and crazy on my phone.  You love coming up with wacky games with your dad or that you bring your siblings in on.  


5. Your great confidence. I love how much you believe in yourself!  You recognize gifts in your talents and abilities.  You love to show me your awesome ninja moves, the way your body looks as you've frozen it from a cool "slide," and the latest lego creation you've concocted.  I can't ever recall a time when you were discouraged, thinking you didn't measure up.  Whatever it is--climbing a tree, hitting a ball while playing in the yard, swimming lessons, etc. you keep faith and know that you rock!



6. Your desire to show and express affection.  The very first thing you like to do when you get up in the morning (after using the restroom, of course), is start the day off with a hug.  You have never refused or been embarrassed by my hugs and kisses, no matter where we are.  (I hope this won't change as you get a little older!)  When the kiddos and I come visit you at school you always run to us and give us oodles of hugs!  Connection with you is SO critical to helping you with your poor moods and attitude.  I just have to remember to keep showing love even when you're struggling to be loving yourself.  ;)


7. Your knowledge of and love for your Savior.  In December I purchased the abridged illustrated scripture stories of the four books of scripture (Old Testament, New Testament, Book of Mormon, and Doctrine & Covenants) from Deseret Book.  We started reading those every night and you have loved them!  You've said multiple times, "I love reading the scriptures now!"  The stories have come to life in a much more real and meaningful way for you than they ever did when we just read from the actual scriptures.  We read the New Testament book through the month of December and it had a wonderful impact on you. I am so grateful that you know and love Jesus Christ.  You know that you are a child of God.  You know that you came from Heaven, that Jesus Christ created you, and that you have a purpose here on Earth.  You know that Jesus loved you so much that He died for you, and that you will see Him again.  I love what you wrote for your class Valentine's Day assignment.  Everyone had to write a paragraph about someone they love.  Most of the kids in your class wrote about their parents. Some wrote about a pet or another relative.  You wrote about Jesus.  :)  I was so proud and impressed with you!  What a fantastic missionary you are, Eli!  

Eli has wanted to be in a karate class for years!  I've never been ready to commit to an extra-curricular activity before, but last month there was a week-long Tae Kwon Do class offered to all students.  3 afternoons after school + one Saturday event/graduation/party.  The money we paid for it would go directly to the school's gym program.  So we signed him up!  I thought maybe it'd be too exhausting for him to have an activity right after school, but he did fine.  Clara, Ezra, and I were able to go to the school and watch the last half hour of one of his classes.  Pretty cool!  Thankfully the graduation was on a late Saturday afternoon so David was home from work and able to go with us!  That was the best part of the week where the kids really got to perform their moves more.  I love these photos David took!  Eli loved tae kwon do so much!  He was giddily hopping around after his turns to do punches or kicks.  He was in his happy place!








Showcasing his board that he broke, woohoo!
We have a big and important year ahead as we prepare Eli for his baptism when he turns 8!  We love our oldest child and pray that we can have the patience and wisdom to best teach him and help him continue to develop into a kind and soft-hearted boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment